Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Tutorial Tuesday - Altered Tablets

It's time once again for Tutorial Tuesday 
here at Shelly's Images!
And, I (Darlene) am thrilled to be your hostess!

Here's an EASY creation that can be made to fit ANY occasion and is not only a wonderful gift giving idea, but a GREAT selling craft show item!  Let's get started . . .

Here's the finished product ... Closed.
(Open view is at the bottom on the tutorial)



Here are the basic products you will need ... 
  • 1 - 80# or more 8 1/2 x 11 cardstock
  • 1 - 12x12 designer paper of your theme choice
  • 1 - 5 x 8 lined tablet (I bought mine at a wholesale club similar to Sam's Club - 24 tables for $6.00)
  • Adhesive of your choice ... I used 1/4" and 1/8" ScoreTape
  • Embellishments of your choice  (my image is Shelly's 'PINE' digi)

Cut your BASE CARDSTOCK to 8 1/8" x 10 1/2" ... SCORE at 5 1/8" and again at 5 3/8" ... this will make your cover.  Then put your adhesive onto the back of you tablet and carefully line it up and attach it the 'back side' of your cover.


 From your designer paper, you will need a panel for the FRONT, a 5" piece for the inside pocket, a 1" x 5" piece for the top of the tablet and in my case ... a narrow strip 8" x 1/2"  to FIX A BOO BOO ...  
 I didn't get my tablet on exactly right and could see it when I closed the front lid ... so I cut a piece of the dp and attached it to the INSIDE of the cover before to remedy the problem (doesn't it figure I'd do this when I was taking photos for a tutorial!  Uuugh!)
 
 
You can adorn your pocket flap how ever you choose!  I add a single 'Just A Note' sheet just to let the person know that there is a USABLE pocket available.  It can certainly be used for store coupons, receipts, a few envelopes perhaps ...  or whatever!

 Be sure to measure the top of your tablet before cutting the decorative strip ... not all tablets are the same.  And it found it holds better if you SCORE it before adding adhesive and attaching it to the tablet top.  This is not a necessary step ... but one that I think finishes it off nicely!
 

Here is the finished OPEN view of the Altered Tablet.


You can certainly ALTER this tutorial to fit your needs and the possibilities are ENDLESS!  Please be sure to come back on Thursday when this beautiful digi will be our FEATURED IMAGE (special price) and for our TTT challenge!  You won't want to miss the fun and if you need inspiration ... check out what my team mates have to share ... WOWZA!!!  They are amazingly talented!!

Hope you enjoyed the tutorial and will give it a try ... really ... it's easy & fun!!  See you Thursday!
Hugs,
Darlene

6 comments:

  1. oh I like this Darlene! At first I misunderstood the post title of altered tablet. Now I see that you've made a folder for the legal pad, great idea. I might just have to give this a try!
    Thanks - ♥ Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh....I love this little tablet. I really love the pocket inside with the folded edge and embellishment. I think I need to make some of these for Christmas presents too. Augh....the list of things I need to make keeps getting longer and longer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Your tutorial was beautifully presented and your end result is just so amazing:) Sandra H

    ReplyDelete
  4. just love it!! what a great gift idea ..tfs..loves ya

    ReplyDelete