Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Tutorial/Technique Tuesday: Making It Fit

Hello Everyone and welcome to another Tutorial/Technique Tuesday here at Shelly's Images!

Have you ever had a pretty piece of design paper you'd love to use on a card but just know that once you cut it to fit you are going to loose the pretty pattern?  Well here's a trick I use ALL THE TIME!

Here is a piece of adorable design paper from the Prima Sweet Fairy 6x6 paper stack that I would like to use on my A-6 size card (6 1/4" x 4 1/2").  

As you can see, when you cut the paper to the 6 x 4 1/4" panel you need for the front of your card, you loose part of the pretty pattern!  Here is my solution to the problem . . .

Take the piece that you cut off and layer it on top of your 6 x 4 1/4" panel and adhere the two together.  Now you say ... BUT THEY DON'T MATCH UP!  Well, here's my solution to THAT problem . . .


By taking a strip of paper that matches your base card (this is actually one of the pieces I cut off my 8 1/2" x 11" cardstock to make my base card), punch it on both sides using your favorite border punch or die and adhere it over top where your design paper is seamed.  That's basically all you have to do!  As you can see, once again it appears that the background paper is all one piece and perfectly matched!  Now have fun decorating the front of your card.  Here are a couple of samples I have to share with you today.

For my first card I've simply added a Birthday stamped sentiment to my lacy panel.

And here I've gotten a little fancier by adding a strip of pink satin ribbon over my lacy panel ... then printed out Shelly's Images "B is for Birthday Sentiment".  I achieved the yellow shadowing by leaving my die cut circle inside the die and sponging a little Momento Dandelion ink around the edge before removing it from the die.  This is a nice way to make it look like you have another mat without the bulk of more paper.

I hope you have enjoyed today's little tip and find it useful.  Please be sure to stop back on Thursday for theTerrifically Thrilling Thursday Challenge and check out another AMAZING NEW IMAGE from Shelly!  I tell you ... this girl is ON A ROLL!!!

See you there!

6 comments:

  1. What a great tutorial ! Thanks for sharing it.

    Hugs, Marjan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a handy tip, thanks for sharing
    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grt Tutorial.. Beautiful card thanks a lot for sharing it..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this fab tip!
    xxx Margreet

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful and thank you for sharing it xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great tip, thanks for the tutorial. hugs, Ursula

    ReplyDelete